Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Article: Has the notebook-to-handheld conversion begun?

Has the notebook-to-handheld conversion begun? Boy, don't I wish!

Apparently some senior executives are starting to trade in their laptops for a desktop and a smart handheld device, a la Pocket PC. Since most senior execs don't do much except read e-mail and talk to each other, I guess that works for them. I'd be hard-pressed to show up at a client site and start coding on my phone. Talk about your reality check ("How big is that screen anyway, 300x400?")

However, if they give me VR goggles, light-based keyboards and VR gloves, I might think about it. At least with goggles you can get 1024x768...of course, they're a fortune, but hey, who's counting costs here? Seriously, though, the input and visual components are what need the most work.

I think technology will eventually get there. I remember when my dad bought his first PC, and it had less processing power and RAM than my phone now has. And that was only about 15 years ago.

No comments: